Country: Mozambique Local: Matola
Completion date: 2015
VISAQUA – Gestão de Infraestruturas e Serviços Ambientais S.A. Developed for: Direção Nacional de Águas (DNA)
Preliminary Study and Technical, Environmental and Economic Feasibility Study of Matola City Sanitation System
The Technical Assistance included the geographical, socioeconomic and environmental characterization of Matola City (373 km², 247 000 inhabitants, in 2025), a diagnosis of the existing situation regarding, in particularly, the water supply and sanitation/drainage systems, and the proposal of technical, socioeconomic and environmental solutions, which would guarantee a sustained service within a 25-year time period.
The proposed solution encompassed the following main infrastructures:
- Sewage drainage network with 200 mm diameter, with a total extension of approximately 212 km (phased construction, with about 45% of the network expected to be built in the first phase), which will serve around 174 000 and 255 000 inhabitants, respectively, in 2025 and 2040.
- Main trunks with a total length of about 13.3 km (phased construction, being recommended the construction of about 9 km in the first phase).
- Domestic and stormwater main sewer, with diameters between 315 and 800 mm, in an extension of approximately 7.3 km in the first phase.
- Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP), to be built in the current Malhampsene dump. The Malhampsene FSTP was designed to receive, in the first phase (2025), a daily volume of about 62,000 m3 of faecal sludge and, in a second phase (2040), a daily volume of 268,000 m3. The ETLF will occupy an area of approximately 1.4 ha in 2025 and 2.0 ha in 2040.
The feasibility of the following wastewater treatment solutions (WWTP) was also analysed:
- Solution A (Matola WWTP and FSTP): The WWTP, with lagoons as secondary treatment, was designed to serve, in the first phase (until 2025), a population of 65,000 inhabitants and, in a second phase (2040), a population of 142,000 inhabitants.
- Solution B (expansion and improvement of the Infulene WWTP) – he expansion of the Infulene WWTP was designed to serve a population of 172,000 inhabitants in 2025 and 320,000 inhabitants in 2040.
The investments estimated for the solutions abovementioned amounts to approximately 57 000 000 USD and 48 000 000 USD, considering solution A and B, respectively.
Name of Associate Consultant: ENGIDRO, Estudos de Engenharia, Lda. | EEPLAN, Engineering, Environmental and Planning, Lda.