Country: Portugal Local: Sintra
Completion date: 2014
Municipal Services of Water and Sanitation of Sintra
Water Supply Master Plan for Sintra Municipality
The municipality of Sintra has a population of approximately 380 000 inhabitants (INE, 2011).
The plan consisted in the development of the following activities:
- Sintra municipality characterization;
- water utility profile and structure;
- characterization and diagnosis of the actual situation (infrastructure physical condition and system performance, organized in a structured way according to the client database system), operation & maintenance plan;
- hydraulic simulation model;
- health and safety in work procedures manual;
- non-revenue water reduction plan;
- water safety plan and an investment plan.
The hydraulic simulation of the supply system included 52 reservoirs (with a total storage capacity of more than 130,000 m3), main pipelines, over a length of approximately 184 km, with pipe diameters varying between 80 mm and 1,000 mm) and 28 pumping stations, presenting a set of interventions that allow increasing the system’s resilience.
Name of Associate Consultant: SISAQUA and CONSULGAL.